Old 03-13-16, 04:47 PM
Chili Cheesy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Raleigh Grand Prix for Touring?

Hey all,

I have obtained a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix. I've stripped it down to only the frame, fork, headset, stem and handlebars. I am in the process of building it into a touring bike, kind of for the cool factor in addition to the money it saves me. The frame is steal of course, but it was intended back then to be a racing type frame, not touring. I know they built things tough back then too and wonder if this is plenty sturdy enough for front and rear loads on big tours.

Just some extra details to prevent unnecessary questions:
I've cold set the rear triangle to fit a 130mm hub and aligned the dropouts. the frame and fork are nice and straight. It's gonna' be a 9-speed drivetrain setup. I've already got the compatibility issues with mounting racks solved.

Parts:
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore long cage 9-speed
Front Derailleur - Shimano Sora for wide tooth range (same that now comes on Surly LHT, but it's the 9-speed version)
Crankset and BB - Shimano Alivio 22,32,44t and Shimano UN-55 square taper
Cassette - Shimano SLX 34-11t 9-speed
Wheels - Alex Ace19 Rims and Schwalbe Marathon 35c tires (on the narrow side to fit in the rear triangle on this lil' racer)
Brake Levers and Shifters - Cane Creek SCR-5 (Tektro R200) and microSHIFT 9-speed bar-end shifters
Saddle - Brooks of course

I'd appreciate any wisdom on this matter, especially if it comes from real experience with a similar situation. I just want to feel secure about this... or to know the inconvenient truth that will save me from being stranded on a back road with a busted bike.

The picture is something I found on Google. It's exactly the bike I intend to mutate.

,Ryan
Attached Images

Last edited by Chili Cheesy; 03-14-16 at 08:55 AM.