Old 03-17-16, 04:17 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Unless you are a regular on the BF A&S. Then its ok to act like the police and/or take a lane to force other road users to bend to your iron will.
Dave, I agree with you yet again. I watch that video and think to myself, that that situation would never have happened to me because I would not have been attempting to make any attempt to educate the driver of an SUV about the finer points of lane etiquette. We are really sliding down a slippery slope when evidence prepared by the prosecution is the sole arbiter in a legal case! I am all for impartial video evidence of incidents like this. One day there will be a network of surveillance cameras monitoring our roads. I don't drive, most of you do. Wouldn't you want impartial treatment of drivers, on the off chance that you are the driver implicated in a cyclist/car accident?

That driver just lost his livelihood. No trivial thing. Yes, he was an ***hat. So was the cyclist. IMO the cyclist being the bigger one, because all he had for protection was a video camera. Sorry, three cameras. Did anyone on the defense side wonder openly about the overall state of mind of a cyclist that rocks three cameras. Did anyone say at the trial that if the driver had really wanted to he could have done a LOT more to that cyclist than he did?

I was on a road I know well, with a left turn coming up. I knew that a left turn from the bike lane was impossible, so I got into the vehicle lane because it was going to split into left and straight through in about 100 feet. Up from behind comes rager cager. He beeped me just like the idiot in the video. I moved to the left so he could pass. And he did. Close. Unnecessary, he had plenty of room on the right, but that's the kind of cager he was. We met at the light. This would be the point at which some of you start lecturing the driver about cyclists rights. I said nothing. He said nothing. The light changed. I made my left. He went straight. We will meet again some day, but I won't know it. One white SUV is not much different from the dozens I see everyday. I otoh am rather unique, if I do say so myself. Captured on camera, that incident might have caused some serious consequences for that driver. I don't know. I'm happy not to have been hurt. So grateful, in fact, that I'm willing to let him keep his job!

Lets really turn up the heat so that the stakes get really reductio ad absurdum, then drivers will want make sure the cyclist is dead, and their camera good and flattened before they drive off in a shower of sparks into the dark of night.