Old 03-21-16, 01:27 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I have near zero patience with Forrester's premise that Bicycles were somehow placed at a unique disadvantage by most ASFRAP laws. They are consistent with long established slow moving vehicles keep right rules, so not a real change. In fact, bicycles were actually favored a bit, since larger slow moving vehicles (in some/most? states) must move right and stop if necessary to clear backed up traffic, and bicycles are exempt from that clause.

By the same token, I have little patience for the "oh, the law and law enforcement hate me because I'm a bicyclist" sentiment I hear expressed so often these days.

On the flip side, I have equally little patience for some of the cyclist's rights arguments I hear, and likewise for any argument for a single way to ride a bicycle.

Bicycling safely isn't a matter of laws as much as it is a matter of using common sense and reason. The ASFRAP laws give cyclists some discretion, and what's practical or safe depends on conditions.

Roads are a shared resource with room for everybody if the players understands the concept of sharing. That means cyclists have equal rights, and can ride where they feel is reasonable, yet can move right where possible to create passing opportunities for delayed motorists. Motorists, likewise can spare a few seconds to wait for an opportunity to pass safely with a full or partial lane change as circumstances dictate.

Of course, not everybody will play nicely, and I have no illusions, but my extensive experience is that the vast majority of motorists are pretty OK. The jerks are a minority, and I suspect an equal percentage among bicyclists as motorists. IMO we need to chill out a bit, ride both safely and courteously, using our judgement to adapt to conditions --- and the LAW be dammed.

FWIW - the one and only instance where I was called on by cop to explain why I was in violation of ASFRAP, ended summarily when his sergeant pulled up, asked what was up, and decided the issue by looking at the pavement condition and asking his officer "where the **** do you expect him to ride?"

As I posted earlier, regardless of whether the rider had other options and even if the road were crowded limiting the driver's options, there was no justification for what was essentially an unprovoked assault, and it's the assault that this case was about.
Well said.

It's just riding a bicycle, give a little, take a little.