Bike Forums - View Single Post - What makes a commuting bicycle different from other bikes?
Old 03-21-16, 03:41 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Apart from tjspiel's answer, which really is complete in a very meaningful sense, many of us here customize bikes for the purpose of commuting. The characteristics that make a bike an "ideal" commuter depend on what customizations you would like to make. The ability to accept wide tires, a rack and fenders are commonly sought attributes. My ideal commuter may not be your ideal commuter.

As an example, here's a pic of my bike, which for me is very nearly the perfect commuter.

Is this bike a commuter? By tpspiel's definition it is certainly a commuter. I have built it for this purpose. According to the marketing division at Kona, this is a cyclocross bike. They didn't build it to be a commuter, but they did know some people would want to use it that way so they provided braze-ons for rack and fenders. I personally also want drop bars and disc brakes on my commuter. Other people don't want either. I don't need tires for unpaved roads. Other people do. Theft prevention isn't a big priority for me. For other people, that might be a very high priority.

So in some sense a commuter bike is a bike that you can customize (or not customize if that's your preference) to suit your needs.
That is one damn nice bike @Andy_K. Other than the color and my proclivity to steel that is my dream bike.

For me a commuter is something that can handle racks and fenders, pull a trailer, hold a kids seat, ride smooth, and carry a load. But any bike will do. I always remind myself people all over ride to work on Walmart specials.