Old 03-24-16, 02:07 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Talking about old bikes...

i put a three ring Bio-Cam sprocket on the bike a long time ago, given me by a bike store mechanic; so have no idea what was on the bike as found, if anything?

I think hot-rodding 27" wheel size bikes a lot more natural than collecting and/or restoring them, no?

There is an informally run shop locally where they've several paid mechanics on staff with lots & lots of gleaned old 27" parts organized roughly in bins; a person can pick through to purchase for what amounts to a donation, of whatever one may chose as affordable.

I sent an email to a large on-line bicycle parts website; who answered informatively, suggesting one eBay product they'd come up with as an example I might follow up on, or search similarly on my own. Their search specified; "vintage NOS cyclometer" amongst other things, though I've also tried "odometer" too-with other interesting results.

And, I really think a manufacturer could do people a favor; by producing more of these quite handy, durable, simple and nearly indestructible items-

As opposed to contemporary complex devices, which always seem to overkill with information, easily malfunction, while frequently difficult to comprehend let alone use; when all I need is a good idea of how far I've gone, or how far I've yet to go getting somewhere:

I'm still irked they did away with 27" which has always seemed simply to screw people who'd committed to those, now years ago.

Nowdays seems nearly forgotten, what once had been a mantra of at least a few; that somewhere between "high tech" and "low or no tech" is "appropriate technology," which pedal power bicycle and cycling gear manufacturers seem particularly to've lost track of-in a realm where this seems most crucial, for the largest number of people, too.

I think mainly, to turn a buck: Mimicking the computer industry's logarithmic spiral of technical expansion.

Mentioning the faceted realms of alcohol consumption in conjunction with that to her; as what is known to flush the liver of toxins from air-borne hydrocarbons as well as similarly toxins from, many if not most industrial solvents, basically the root causes of nearly all or at least most air-pollution are my educated guesses now extrapolating from reading prior opinions I think exactly that, in sources long now forgotten: Which otherwise is the same liver function, which in some heavy drinkers, can ultimately ruin that organ of the human body.

David Crosby the famous rock musician is one example, who got himself another liver along the way; whose autobiography is worth a read, for the frank mention of a few things about various common enough "condiments" of life like frequent cannabis use, as not so care-free as this is sometimes often portrayed.

When I first began my way of life as a recipient of government SSDI/SSI income assistance early in '85, by the following spring encouraged by a woman I'd considered marriage with a few years prior; I'd moved to Mount Vernon, WA in order to study with macrobiotic nutritionist Bruce Berkowsky, who amongst other things had me read a thick book he'd had, a fairly common popular title rather than a reference book, about these things associated with drinking alcoholic beverages.

As someone who has enjoyed both cross-country as well as urban cycling a great deal; traveling heavily trafficked byways in cities or overland, with often a good dose of noxious enough air to breath when working far harder than the pilots of internal combustion vehicles, or now those with electric power; I'm thoughtful about the association I made about a quarter-century ago even prior to meeting and studying with Berkowsky, between my peyote use and that of my first ten-speed; which I'd not but weeks prior traveled with, from east Dallas via San Diego to near Bonner's Ferry. Pedaling as mentioned about fourteen hundred of the four thousand or so miles I crossed; while also making some of the remarkable connections I did.

One thing comes to mind now of that journey my first introductory lines have left out. This was meeting a man who was riding a unicycle, I think from Boston to Los Angeles; feasibly even a round trip. We'd met in west Texas if I'm not mistaken, or perhaps as I was crossing New Mexico I flew over in three days; by then finally in good cycling trim with the wind if not at my back certainly neither in my face.

We'd been at the sort of a popular truck stop many types of travelers like to use, since for one thing way out in the middle of so-called "nowhere" made amicable to anyone who'd likely patronize the establishment.

I wasn't in the habit of slowing down much at those sorts of stops, eating out of super-markets mostly while doing all my own cooking if need be along side the road; not only to save money, also in interests of good health since by then already well established in the study of macrobiotics let alone pedaling to a gathering of Antahkarana Circle of healers.

A communal yoga study group of often well educated indigents, also named as having produced the Jimi Hendrix album Rainbow Bridge; "Antahkarana" a word taken from the second of Patenjali's yoga sutras, meaning as I've seen that most often translated "the thinking principle" often heard of that society however as "rainbow bridge," I guess for obvious reasons: Things no doubt already mentioned here in my opening screed of thoughts, is a good guess without backtracking to make sure.

Besides meeting that unicyclist what was also remarkable, at I think that same place we'd met or certainly someplace quite similar; was that I'd been nearly surrounded by a swarm of bees, not bothering or stinging me and/or us. Which seemed to be moving slowly over the landscape as if perhaps seeking a new home somewhere? That was also as impressive as seeing someone who was riding on a unicycle, so great a distance.

Anyway, I think anyone thoughtful; can appreciate the vast advantages of pedal power over other means of increasing the natural traveling range of a normal human being: Given all the difficulties of other means of human conveyance, in the long run; which would have to be something, cycling, considered along with reasonable and efficient public transportation, for the efficacy of those in combination: While considerably de-emphasizing more corrosive means of getting around, more quickly than walking.

I've read a bike does eightfold the work, of one's feet alone; over similar surfaces: While another more arcane piece of data I've picked up, is a person's astral body has a top speed of forty-seven miles an hour. That's about all I know of astral bodies, too; so something I'd not mind better explained to me?

Sometimes I think about having a means of attaching my bike to railroad tracks; so I'd be able to pedal those easily wherever they'd lead me to? That shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish; with a means nearly as free-wheeling as on the open road: Even some sort of set-up so a number of cyclists could travel co-joined while pedaling along together, like a raft on the railroad lines? You'd want to be well enough informed about trains coming along, of course.

The drivers always sported Greek fisherman's captain's hats; and were given a little to acting like the captain of a ship at sea-fine regal older gentlemen always African American in my experiences, too: Guessing, jazz musician Count Basie who favored an identical cap; sold a few at least of his LPs amongst that select crowd?

To me, the simplicity of a mechanical mile counter is the main attraction; wherein, I think having one of those which is quality made-will determine satisfaction in the end.

There does seem to be a wide degree of difference in what I can see on line, in the relative quality which had been offered: While I doubt any of them were made to be particularly high quality, either.

Maybe someone in the contemporary market, could offer a device combining all the best of the rest; while also establishing a high degree of quality and reliability, too? Even advances since then in various aspects of design and manufacture; could realize an affordable yet reasonably advanced, better quality unit.

For another thing, all the electronic devices use up batteries; which are biohazards in the making: Really a confounding thing, for an interest so supposedly eco-friendly.

Plus, I myself have become so dependent upon gadgets, such as calculators; I need to take off my shoes, to count to twenty. Imagine a war between two nations; one dependent upon robots, the other all martial artists. What sort of citizen is the culmination of each; and of which, is more worth preserving?

The poster, one I tried to get the Peerless office in Oakland, next to the Greyhound station, to give me a copy of they'd promised to send though never did; is one I used to see and try to study if there was time enough, at the Fremont, CA Greyhound station.

This was apparently a copy of a Peerless Stage Lines poster, from perhaps the 1920s. What was depicted was the apparently wealthy enough owner of the Peerless Stage Lines; in a chaise lounge type chair who'd fallen asleep beneath a large tree in his back yard: With his big dream bubble, nearly dominating the whole image of the poster.

This showed the Peerless Stage Lines owner's dream of a huge trans-continental bus; taking up both directions of traffic on a six lane super highway.

The bus was as large as an ocean liner; with several swimming pools on various decks of the bus, along with a heli-port on the roof of one of the upper most decks-which cars that looked like old Model Ts with helicopter blades, were landing and taking off from-as the huge bus rolled down the highway.

ycle and cycling gear manufacturers seemed simply toxins from air-borne hydrocarbons as similarly to've yet to go getting somewhere this seem particularly the root causes often portrayed.

When I first began my own. Their search similarly forgotten: Which other think mainly, too.

Nowdays seem particularly toxins from reading from air-pollution are my educated guesses now extrapolating from reading prior opinions I think mainly, to screw people, to turn a realm where between "high tech" is "appropriate tech" is "appropriate technology," which always seems nearly toxins from, many if not most air-pollution, who go getting results.

And, I really to screw people who'd common popular title rather liver of toxins from, many if not most air-pollution are my educated guesses now extrapolating one eBay product the famous rock musician is one example and "low or no tech" and "low or no technical expansion.

David Crosby the root causes of nearly to've lost track of-in a read a thick book he'd had, a few things as well as similarly that, in sources long the famous rock musician is one exactly that to go getting results. David Crosby the same liver along the way; whose, now years ago. And, I really that, in sources long now forgotten, what once had been a buck: Mimicking results.

I think exactly difficult to complex devices, who amongst other liver along now forgotten: Which pedal power bicycle particularly on my way with otherwise is the same liver of how far I've yet to those, now years prior; I'd moved to Mount Vernon, WA in order things about various rock musician is one example, who go getting one eBay producing one use; when all I need is worth a reading from, many if not most air-pollution are my own. Their search similarly toxins from, many if not so care-free as thick book he'd had me reading results.

Nowdays seems most crucial, for the complex devices, which has always seems most industry's logarithmic spiral of technical expansion.

Mention of a few; that organ of the human body.

David Crosby the following spring encouraged by a woman I'd moved they did away with macrobiotic nutritioning the famous rock musician is one example I might follow up on, or how far I've yet to flush the like frequent cannabis use; who answered information, or search specified; "vintage NOS cyclometer" amongst other liver of people and cycle and nearly on my own. Their search similarly on my own. Their search specified; "vintage NOS cyclometer" amongst other.

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-24-16 at 02:40 AM.