Old 03-24-16, 12:13 PM
Chili Cheesy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
Chili,

Another thing to consider is how you are going to attach the rear rack. If you have a vintage Pletscher, then no problem, otherwise, there are no braze ons on the seat stays of an old Grand Prix for attaching a carrier. The P-clamps that are readily available at hardware stores, suffer from metal fatigue and break even when you don't carry a load. That was an issue with my Motobecane. I finally solved the problem by making a clamp out of aluminum bar stock. It is a simple solution, but a bit too complicated to describe. I will take some pictures in the morning when there is enough light in the garage for the camera to focus.
P-clamps will be fine. Maybe not the flimsy ones from a hardware store, but what I have in mind is a thick, strong p-clamp meant just for bikes and racks. Plus... all the stress will be on the rack eyelets on the dropouts. I'll use another p-clamp for the fenders if I don't end up with a bolt that's long enough to put both on. Don't worry. Thank you though. Important stuff.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
i'm not sure BB spindles are all centered, you'd have to find an expert to ask.
so going from 113 to 123 doesn't necessarily mean each side is lengthened
by 5mm. could be the drive side goes up 7mm, the other side 3mm longer.

a friend here got a great deal on some "seconds" frames. why seconds?
seat tube was too tight for correct seatpost, had to be reamed/sanded
and/or shimmed. BB threads crankside were not cut as deep as should
be, could not get the BB to seat in fully. had to add a shim but then
chainline a bit too far out. did the calculations, ordered a new BB, but
the decrease on each side was not equal. same with the next one.
third one was like goldilocks.

shouldn't be as much a problem in your case, we were limited as to what
we could do with shims.
Originally Posted by grolby
Ok. It's typical on older cup-and-cone BBs to have an asymmetric spindle. Why, I don't know, but it doesn't matter. You probably don't need to worry about it, because the modern crank you're buying is intended for use with a modern, symmetric spindle. Assuming you're able to get this new BB installed square and properly, you should have no problem at all.
Yea... I just have to try what I ordered when it gets here and go from there. What do you mean by "seconds" frames?

Originally Posted by mantelclock
Here are a couple of pics:
Your pics are not viewable, my friend.