View Single Post
Old 03-26-16, 04:55 PM
Slachtbeest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a road bike right for me?

I've been wanting to get a bike for maybe two months now, and the more I learn about bikes the more lost I become.

My goal is to ride for fitness purposes, ride a paved bike "trail" and ride around my state (CT). But I also need to use it to ride around town. The thing that bugs me, is that where I live the roads are full of cracks and bumps, some potholes, tree roots. The sidewalks are uneven as hell and cracked and broken as well. I wouldn't say I live in the hood, but for some reason the roads just seem kind of crappy. I only ride about a mile to anywhere I need to go within town though. If I were to ride outside of my town the roads get a bit better.

Also because of the crazy drivers around my town, I tend to have to hop onto curbs and run through some grass. It's not a whole lot but I don't know how easy it is for road bikes to get damaged. Of course once I leave town the roads are less bad, there's not so many cars and I can ride on the road and not fear for my life every second that I'm riding.

Right now I ride a mountain bike with broken brake lines, bad shifters, bent wheels, a front shock absorber that doesn't move, and the frame is a little bent too. I didn't do all this, I got it like this from my sister lol. But it's all I have and I want to buy a bike that I will love instead of some hunk of junk from dicks sporting goods.

I am looking to spend around 500-700 on a bike. I weigh about 225 lbs as well and I'm 6'1''