Old 03-29-16, 03:13 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
The wife and I will be on a Hawaiian cruise in May and would like to rent road bikes for the day while in Kona. We are not looking to do anything beyond 40 miles and have no interest in climbing a volcano if you know what I mean. We are looking at taking a southern route on Kuakini Hwy and Kamehameha Rd or a northern route to Manini'owali Beach via Mamalahoa Highway.

Thoughts? What would you pick?
Kailua-Kona to Manini'owali Beach is about 28 miles round trip on HI19 Queen Ka'ahumanu Highway and Kua Bay Access Rd. Route is flat with lava rockfields next to the Hwy, can be hot, but may have high winds and mostly wide shoulders (mandatory use).

South route on HI180 can be a climb from Kailua-Kona but cooler and greenery, narrow winding road.
HI11 lower road is flat and narrow, especially in Captian Cook. It can be extremely congested at rush hour.
Another option would be to drive up to HI180 from Kailua-Kona, drive south on HI180 until you see a resturant you like or Teshima's Restaurant at merge area on H11, ask if you can park there during your ride, then you will eat there after the ride. Lets you ride a loop on HI180.

I would pick the Manini'owali Beach ride. You could even park at the bike shop during the ride.

Take your own bicycle locks with you. At one time and maybe even today, at least one shop was renting bikes out, having guys steeling them, charging the renters the full cost of replacing the bicycle and then giving a reward for the return of the bicycle and uncut lock.

I do NOT believe either these shops were involved in the bike theft scam.
Bike Shop - Kona, Hawaii - Cycle Station
Bike Works Kona

Last edited by CB HI; 03-29-16 at 03:18 PM.