Old 03-29-16, 07:53 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kennj123
First, I've looked at a couple stores around me selling bike parts ...none sell the tool for measuring stretch in the chain.
A decent metal ruler with fine markings is a great tool to measure chains. At least a few of us consider it to be more accurate than using an inexpensive 'chain checker' tool. Check out the page below on Sheldon Brown's site -- specifically the section of the page titled "Measuring Chain Wear".

Chain Maintenance

Also, the bike was at the LBS just 6 weeks ago, they know i ride the bike hard, I feel let down that they hadn't checked this. Okay, so what else bike maintenance do i need to do that if i delay it will cause other parts to fail prematurely?
It's not like anything they would've told you six weeks ago could've prevented the problem. The worn chain has been wearing on other components a lot longer than that. If you would've swapped your chain six weeks ago, it probably would've started slipping then, and even worse, because new chains don't mesh well with worn-out freewheel cogs.

The ways to prevent this problem from happening again are (1) ride with technique that's less likely to damage the drivetrain components or wear them out prematurely, and (2) replace chains periodically so a worn chain doesn't damage other parts.

Ron's tone may have come off as condescending (not that the snarky reply was any better), but he does have a point. Mashing the pedals is hard on the bike. Darth Lefty expands on that thought in his advice, including some of the reasons it's not good to shift under load. Adding one more point to his helpful advice, shifting under heavy load can also get the chain jammed some places it's not supposed to be, causing damage to drivetrain components or even the frame.

Okay, so what else bike maintenance do i need to do that if i delay it will cause other parts to fail prematurely?
Well, you found the big one. The hard way.

One other item comes to mind: Keeping your chain lubricated and (relatively) clean will slow down its wear rate, prolonging its life.