View Single Post
Old 03-30-16, 01:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by User1
A couple of answers that kinda was asked; my spacing is 130mm, I'd go with wider tires than 32mm if I end up with a wider rim that would support it.

Really I'm trying to get a feel for what wheels to look for in my shopping around. Info like the Mavic 319 and 719 rims is really good info that would be useful. 36 spokes would be considered, but if I run across a nice set of 32s, I'd consider it. I have a good shop I go to for truing and they are trusted.
As a fellow bigger guy and having gone thru a couple of wheel builds over the last couple years, its really best to determine budget and then base components off that. You can get excellent working road hubs for $40 and excellent working road hubs for $500. You can get solid rims for $30 and solid rims for $90.

You can get a fully handbuilt set of wheels with Mavic 319 rims and 36h Tiagra hubs for $250 which would certainly carry you well down to Baja and back. Or move up to 105, Ultegra, or a great cartridge bearing hub and some 719 rims for more money and benefits.