View Single Post
Old 04-03-16, 12:17 PM
vorpalchortle

Bikes: Raleigh 3-speed Glider, Raleigh Super Course fixed/SS, All-City Space Horse, H6R Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano STI conversion options

Hello,

I'm looking for some shifter compatibility advice.
I really do not care for the drop bars with integrated STI brake-shifters that originally came with one of my bikes and am looking into configuration options.
I currently use Velo Orange portuer bars on a Satori stem riser with inverse brake levers which I enjoy quite a bit since it allows a more upright position for commuting and is easier on my neck.
The shifters are the problem though and are presently on my top tube since the brazons on the down tube are bit of a further reach and I cannot fit what parts I have on the stem. Not my ideal set-up to say the least, but luckily I do not shift often in my relatively flat area.
The bike, an All City Space Horse, has a Shimano Tiagra 10-speed set-up (4600, I believe) which I am fine with, I just need to resolve a comfortable and compatible shifting solution.
Bar end shifters are not an option since I use inverse brake levers and some trigger/quick shift options look bulky and seem to be designed for a brake lever to go along with them or may not be compatible with the Tiagra 2x10 (I-Spec?), although I would consider these if I knew they could work.
So I'm thinking thumb shifters and wondering if there are compatibility issues that I should look out for.
Would Microshift or IRD flat bar thumb shifters work? They seem to be nicely minimal and I hope they would fit around the curves of the portuer bars. Or perhaps the Microshift XCD triggers, which are very affordable and not so bulky.
Would a Microshift mountain bike product play nicely with Shimano road bike gearing?

Thank so much!