Old 04-03-16, 09:40 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Loop around Shaw Butte, Lookout & North Mtns

Yesterday afternoon I did a loop around Shaw Butte, Lookout Mtn & North Mtn. If you're more interested in pix than words you can see them here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57665216595976

I started north on 23rd Ave. 23rd goes from my neighborhood all the way to Mission ln just north of Dunlap. Then I worked my way thru the business neighborhood to 25th Ave & the Arizona Canal. This is about 5 mi from my home. From here go east about a quarter mile. A pedestrian bridge crossing the flood channel starts the Cave Creek Multiuser Path here.

[IMG]Cave Creek Path Start by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Proceeding north along the path you pass under Peoria Ave. and Cactus Rd. About 1/2 mi north of Cactus you come to the end of the flood control channel. There is a big low area for waters to gather. And a pedestrian bridge crossing the creek itself.

[IMG]Ped Bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

But if you want to see water come back when it rains. It doesn't matter whether you cross the ped bridge or not. Either way continue north. As you get near Thunderbird Rd the west side merges to the east and you go under the road. You climb out of the creek to ride along a golf course. The trail follows the east side of the course. You will end up next to the sidewalk on 19th Ave. When the golf course ends it is time to cross 19th Ave. Your only help is a crosswalk. But traffic was light and I didn't have to wait more than a minute.

After crossing the path is between a church parking lot to the south and Cave Creek to the north. Google maps says this is the Sun Circle Trail but I'm not so sure. About 1/4 mi east of 19th Ave the trail splits. If you want to stay on the Cave Creek Path turn left into the flood control area and go under Greenway Pkwy here.

[IMG]Underpass by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

However I'm looping around the local mountains so I proceed east. The trail is a concrete path. It meanders along a wash and/or flood control channel. You will ride under mesquite and palo verde trees.

[IMG]The Trail by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

If conditions are right you can find flowers blooming along the path.

[IMG]Trailside Flower by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

At 7th Ave you come to Moon Valley Park. The trail sort of ends here. You want to stay on the north side of the channel and work to the NE corner of the park. The park is popular with locals so when you get back on the trail watch for pedestrians. Follow the meandering generally NE. You will soon come to a bridge crossing a wash. Shortly back to Greenway Pkwy. Here the trail is just the sidewalk. Follow it a couple hundred yards. The mesquites, palo verdes will give way to a grassy area with apts to the south. The trail turns right and crosses the grassy area. Kids were playing in the sprinkler system at the apts. A little further along you come to 7th St.

[IMG]7th St Underpass by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

As you continue east along Greenway Pkwy here you can see Lookout Mtn to the south.

[IMG]Lookout Mtn by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

About 12th St I saw a sign saying "Do not enter when flooded". So I assumed this was the bike path. It wasn't. I was in an empty concrete canal. I found a way out at 14th St and went south to Paradise ln. Then E. to 18th St., S. 1 block to Monte Cristo, then E. again to 20th St. From here I went S. Keep following the path S. It curves a little around Lookout Mtn to your right. I followed 20th St S. all the Way to Swee****er Ave. Then E. a block to Cave Creek Rd (not the creek, town or path). South along Cave Creek Rd. After you cross Cactus you will be going downhill. This was fun I even hit 20mph!

At Hatcher I turn west. North Mtn is to your right. Just west of Central Ave Sunnyslope Mtn is just north of you.

[IMG]Sunnyslope Mtn by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

That S is visible from all over the valley. At 7th Ave I go south a short way, get on the Arizona Canal and go west to 15th Ave.

[IMG]Arizona Canal Ped Bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here I proceed south on 15th Ave to Orangewood. West to 21st Ave. South to Glendale Ave where I stop for a chocolate milk. Then back to 21st eventually crossing to 23rd Ave to continue south back into my neighborhood.

Totals were:
26.6 mi
114 min riding time

Note: Afternoon riding gets thirsty. Even though it was only in the 80s.