Red is Faster!
...need...more...power...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recipe for the Ironman bars below

Originally Posted by Redrom
My sister and brother-in-law invented them (and created the market for that matter). PowerBars really took off when Lance won his first Tour de France and attributed it to the PowerBar.

Selling out? There's nothing bad about making a great product you believe in, pouring your life into it, and selling it to a company that can better adapt to a changing market to live comfortably for the rest of your lives.

Admittedly, sometimes the things that are best for your body aren't necessairly the tastiest. I've had my favorite flavors, but I suspect what will work best for your ride is a Milky Way.
You hear that sound.....
That's your sister and brother-in-law laughing all the way to the bank!!!
Kudos to them! Seriously. I personally can't stand them, but I do eat them when they are on sale at Sams or if thats all I can find that day. I bet they were much better when family made them.

Oh yeah, and I personally have been known to eat a Snickers Bar and a Mountain Dew when a two hour ride turns into a four hour one! Snickers has nuts! Better than the Milky Way!

Here's the Ironman Recipe. If you have problems with he fat content, remove the nuts. It's not like they are the polysaturated, or transfatty kind. I don't like walnuts so I just use something else. The coconut is optional too.

Mryna Ironman Bars (Full credit to Myrna Haag at http://www.myrnahaag.com/)

1 Large Banana
1 cooked sweet potato (I put in th microwave for about 5-7 minutes and peel off skin when cooked)
Mash these up into a good thick paste then add:
3/4 cup honey (buy this at Sams or Costco and save a bunch of $$$)
1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp salt
2 tablespoons cinnamon (yes that is NOT a misprint)
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
Blend (mix) until smooth (I do not use a blender BTW) potato masher is your friend here
Now add:
2 cups oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Mix ingredients and pack into a pan (pack being the operative word at this point) Sugested thickness is 1 inch. Sprinkle coconut on top (again optional to those who are soooooo fat conscious above!)

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes

Reds notes:
I will put the oats in a DRY CLEAN BLENDER to turn them into more of a flour. The recipe is good either way so blender is really not needed.

When I bake these, I either undercook them for use on the bike, or cook them as above for snacks around the house or at work. They can get crumbly if they cook too long. IMO this is not too fun on the bike.

I have found every ingredient at my local Grocery store except the ground flax seeds. That is ususally found at most health food stores. Your experience may be different.

The only special tool I required was my potato masher. I copied her recipe directly as she put it. I interpret blend to mean "mix"

She "estimated" the nutrition to be for a 2" x 2" square to be:
60g carbs
6g protein
3g fat
270 calories
I don't know where she came up with those numbers.

They also digest slowly so don't eat your first one an hour into a two hour ride. I ususally eat one at the begining and eat only with water (crampage)

Oh, and if you don't like them, that's OK too. I am not trying to sell anything here, nor is Myrna. We are just trying to give everyone info on something we, and our friends like, instead of buying those "EVIL POWERBARS" You know they are just a large conspiracy since they sold out....

Did you know you can patch a tube with a power bar and related wrapper? I've done it! That's for another post...