View Single Post
Old 04-04-16, 11:17 PM
helmet4000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
I just bought roughly the same bike...but I will have an Ultegra 11-32 cassette (gives you a "granny gear" for tough hills). I am sorry to hear about what you have been through. The new Fuji should be exciting and fast.

Originally Posted by franco802
Hello all! Great forum here! I'm from San Diego, Ca and just purchased a new 2015 Fuji Transonic 2.3 with Ultegra package. I'm super excited about this. Here's my story on why I am getting into road bikes.

On April 5, 2015(Easter Sunday) I had a major motorcycle incident. I was in the local canyons with some friends and ended up going down. We weren't screwing around like lots of people must think. At the time I was also racing motorcycles, so I was very experienced. I was completely leathered up with all my race gear, that's the only way I would ride the canyons. Anyway, onto the incident.

I was going about 25 mph around a tight hairpin turn. Long time ago when I did use to screw around out there, I would take this same turn at 60+, no issues. Well, I was going the speed limit and all of the sudden my front tire just comes out from under me. Not exactly sure why. Maybe dirt or gravel? I don't know. So, I slid on my belly for about 60ft and onto the oncoming lane. As I was sliding, another rider on the opposite side of the road comes around the corner and stops my slide by running over the back of my left leg at about 55 mph.

I was screaming in pain like hell. For you medical experts, I had an open tib/fib, severed artery and compartment syndrome. In English, I had two open fractures with a severed artery and developed compartment syndrome a few hours later. I also had a broken metatarsal, 4 broken toes, ankle was pulverized, broken cuboid, bruised ribs, pretty much was a mess. I had a fasciaotomy for those of you who don't know what that is, google. So yes, it was bad!!! I was 1.2 hours away from the nearest level one trauma center as well.

I spent over a month in the hospital, had eight surgeries and couldn't walk for 6 months. About one second before the accident I was an avid weight lifter and always training for my motorcycle racing. I was in pretty decent shape. Laying in bed does a number to your body. I lost lots of muscle and gained about 30 lbs.

So now I've lost about 10 lbs and I am currently using a Pilates Power Gym to rebuild my muscles. I maxed out at physical therapy a few months back, nothing else they can do. I can't run anymore and currently can't at all, because I don't know how to yet. So my doctor has been pushing road cycling on me at every visit I have with him. So here I am.

I have been walking unassisted for about 4 months now. I still have pain, but I deal with it. It's getting better though. I also have to wear a compression stocking on my leg for the next four years. So there's my story. Sorry for the novel.

By the way, last time I was on a road bike was in 1993. I had an old 10 speed Murray I use to ride to work every day for about three years. I loved it, but got stolen.