Old 04-10-16, 10:07 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Temp Town Lake via the Arizona and Crosscut Canals

Tempe Town Lake has been drained. So I took another trip out there. This time I went via the Arizona Canal. If you like pix better than words here is a link to the album. There are few more pix there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/res1du...57665216595976

Starting in my neighborhood I travel east on Campbell to 7th Ave. From here I get on the Grand Canal and continue east. At 12th St I go north again to Campbell and turn east. From here east I'm on a bike lane. Campbell is what I call a "minor" artery. There is traffic and it has traffic lights but it's not like the "major" arteries. Campbell ends at the 51, one of our freeways. Fear not there is a pedestrian bridge.

[IMG]crossing the 51 by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yes, that is as tough to navigate as it looks. I know a lot of you can make it up and down without touching your feet to the ground or hands to the rails but I can't. Once across continue east on Campbell. If you're smart you'll continue all the way to 44th St & go north to the Arizona Canal. Not like me. I turned north at 40th St adding a little distance to my trip.

Turn eastish on the Arizona Canal and continue. Along the way you will get some good views of Camelback Mtn.

[IMG]Camelback Mountain by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I never have climbed Camelback. Meant to but, well things come up. East of 48th St is the OHSO Eatery and Brewery. What is interesting is they have a bicycle rack on the canal path. You can enter from Indian School Rd too. There were a lot of bikes parked there. Sorry no pix this time.

Just east of 56th St is Arizona Falls.

[IMG]Arizona Falls by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Arizona Falls is a small hydroelectric plant. I think it supplies electricity to about 50,000 homes. Google it if you want to know. It is artistically designed. A lot of amateur photographers work on their hobby here. Google it and look for images.

About a mile east you will come to the Crosscut Canal. Looking at maps it appears to be what is named. Water is diverted here from the Arizona Canal and travels south. I believe this is the source of water for the Grand Canal. Turn south here.

[IMG]The Crosscut Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here south you will be following a smooth concrete path. And going slightly downhill. The path parallels 64th St to Thomas Rd. Then it veers slightly east then south again. Nearing McDowell watch for the path to split to the right. Take that to go under McDowell.

Going south from McDowell Papago Park, The Desert Botanical Gardens and the Phoenix Zoo are to the right. If you're not careful you can have a lot of fun riding the trails in Papago Park. There is plenty to see.

Continuing south I crossed under an aqueduct then Marigold ln. I think Marigold ln is the service entrance to the zoo. You have to climb a little along side a rock formation.

[IMG]Crosscut Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

From here it is not far to where the path ends at Mill Ave near Curry Rd. I went south on Mill to Curry, then east on Curry a short distance to LakeView Dr. I turned here to go to the lake. The lake is practically empty.

[IMG]Mill Ave Bridge by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Usually the water is up to those dark grey lines on the pillars. The birds don't seem to mind. There is still lots of water down there and plenty of feeding opportunities for birds. But I have to get too close to get a good pic of the wildlife. So you won't find them in this album yet. There are more pix of the bridges.

[IMG]Tempe Town Lake by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

The ride from here to home is the same as the one in my first post. A few differences. There was a larger than usual "hobo" camp. Or maybe that was because it's near sunset. Since it the sun was setting and I didn't have a light I didn't stop for a snack. And this building.

[IMG]Nice paint job. by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

That was not that color the last time! But I like it.

For those interested in statistics I rode my hybrid
28.5 mi
2 hrs 11 min riding time
3 hrs + real time.