Old 04-12-16, 01:02 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4065 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 20 Posts
It is very unlikely that you need to output a sustained 500 watts to complete a charity ride. Say you weigh 200 pounds, that works out to 5.5 watts/kg, which for 5 min power is pro or cat 1 level power.

Typically when people describe a climb, they will describe it in terms of ave % grade, not max % grade. Pulling up a recent climb that I did that was ave 9.5% grade for 2 miles, I can see that I rode up that at 2.6 watts/kg power output. That is a pretty mellow effort. There is (according to Strava) a tiny amt of 19.5% grade on that hill. You can extrapolate based on your weight what kind of wattage you'd need to maintain to climb a similar hill, its probably going to be something like 250 watts.

No one here can really speak to whether you should do this ride, because of your heart condition. You should consult your physician. But its likely your proposed ride is actually significantly easier than you're thinking it it, and (if not for your heart issues) you could probably do it.