Old 04-13-16, 05:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I'm riding with a heart issue, so I can't go over 90% max HR. This is why climbing sucks for me. I find it very hard to keep the HR down. Now that I'm riding with a power meter I can better pace myself, but it's hard to climb at all with anything less than about 170W. At my weight, that's lowest gear almost falling over speed. If I just go for it I'll end up sustaining over 500W. I would consider moderate pace climb to be like 330W. I just can't sustain those wattages without my HR getting too high.
I am in a similar situation (though not so fit as you.)

There is no question but that you could make it ... the only question would be, could you keep ahead of the Sag Wagon? If you slowed down enough to keep your HR in a safe range, you might get so far behind that the support truck would have to pass you .. and then you would have no choice but to grind it out in ultra-slow motion all the way to the end (don't ask how I know.)

The next question would be, if you finished an hour after everyone else, would yo then be stranded with no way home except to ride back---which would probably be way too much?

I'd say, if you think ti is too much for your current condition, either go for it planning to stop when you couldn't keep up with the group, or try it on your own and just go partway and ride back, and keep going until you felt you had increased your fitness level to the point where you could hang with the group.

Either option offers benefits. The group ride can be a great motivator, so long as you know when to quit (if you need to.) The solo ride allows you to tailor your pace to your fitness level on that specific day, so that you can actually make better training gains than going hard, burning out, and riding the bus might offer.

No matter what, riding the bus back is in now way a shameful option. If you are riding for yourself to begin with, then when you no longer feel like riding ... why keep riding? You have nothing to prove to others, except maybe that you are smart enough not to hurt yourself trying to prove things to others.

Personally, I would ride the route solo, in sections, and see if I could work up to the whole distance over time ... but maybe that is not the right approach for anyone else.

(By the way, for those discussing "injury": When I push my heart too hard for too long, I feel pretty sick inside, sometimes for several hours afterwards. I have read people postulating that in that case, what I have done is done minor damage to my heart, actually caused muscle tearing and scarring on a very small level, and each time I do that, I lower my overall heart functionality.

I am not sure, but that is a really serious thing to gamble with. I try to back off before I do potential harm. I still push---at my last spin class, according to my HRM, i spent about 20 minutes over 200 bpm (this was an exception--I had an extra cup of coffee which really hurts me if I work out after)---but I am not at all sure that if I push that much, that I might not be hurting myself, so I try to back off and let my HR drop to a reasonable level.

Normally (when I don't OD on caffeine) I keep my HR just below the point where I know i will feel bad afterwards---and if that means parking the bike halfway up a hill or whatever, to me that makes a Lot more sense than trying to macho my way through it.

Anyone who has had that most joyous experience of feeling his heart stop beating---and start again---will certainly never want to go there twice. A torn ligament can be repaired. An entire knee can be replaced---I ride with several people (in the old folks' club) with replacement knees who can outride me with ease. I don't know anyone who can still ride after a major heart attack and after a pacemaker implant.

Yoda is a fictional character, by the way.

Last edited by Maelochs; 04-13-16 at 05:37 AM.