Old 04-13-16, 08:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Not only that, but the fumes coming off your torch (whatever fuel you use), unless ventilated, can cause dizziness, cognitive impairment, or loss-of-consciousness. Those are just the short-term effects. We're not even talking about cancer, yet, or risk-of-explosion.
Metal fabrication shops get away with it because they have 30-foot-high ceilings and a 48" exhaust fan. Give yourself (and your landlord) a break and find a dedicated loft. If there are any art schools nearby, the students will know where to find one.
Sure, if you practice really extremely bad work guidelines. Like braze in a tiny room with no venting and do so for hours at a time while positioning your face directly above the work piece and are hyperventilating.

In real life there is a range of sensitively people have to these fumes. Those who are affected easily either develop techniques/equipment which keeps fresh air delivered to their lungs or they stop. Those who tolerate these smells better continue and quickly learn better practices then what I mentioned above. The guide lines are much the same for many other jobs like painting or cleaning. Common sense and a little effort to minimize the bad goes a long ways. There are many hundreds of years of human history with metal work and the nasties that result from it. There's very little records of health issues when common sense and simple precautions are followed.

While I don't suggest one brazes in their bedroom I know many have done so in their kitchen with a few closed doors (to the rest of the house) and a few open windows. I know many who have brazed on their porch. I know many who store their flammables outside on the deck, patio, porch or balcony until actually needed. While I have brazed in rented home dwellings I always had the OK from the landlord. I actually get more concerned about the flooring and hot filler dripping off a joint or rod then I am about the fumes. Andy.