Old 04-13-16, 04:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5488 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Um, about that second part... you should see a cardiologist before you do any more workouts. There are no nerves in the heart (not like in your other muscles or skin), so there's nothing to "feel bad" like you say. If you feel bad it's because of something more serious. That, combined with a HR over 200, leads me to guess you may be inducing some fibrillation (electrical abnormalities) in the heart, leading to what you feel. When's the last time you got this stuff checked out (echo, stress test, etc)?
Actually, there are nerves in the heart ... the ones that fire the heart. About half of mine are gone,--an attempt by doctors to control my ridiculously high heartbeat (resting rate 145-150 pre-surgery.)

Since then I have been able to ride and still survive ... I just need to be careful. I got a little sick in Feb and only rode twice in March (too much work) and I got a coffee mug twice as large as my last one. I think I need to cut back on the caffeine and ease back into exercise.

I am not interested in spending the rest of my life on the couch trying to prolong a miserable life. I am interested in learning how to regain lost fitness without killing myself.

My arteries aren't clogged, all my blood work came back excellent at last test ... Sometimes I get to riding and want to push a little more than I know I should, but I refuse to lay down and die ... unless lay down and die halfway up a hard hill I just refused to walk up---and I hope I never get that stupid.

Which is why I suggest that this guy not try to push too hard ... I know how it is when your HRM decides your output, when you think the rest of you could go farther. This guy really could hurt himself trying to fight his way up a hill too far.

BTW, thanks for the concern and the sensible advice. A pleasant change from the "HTFU" norm.