View Single Post
Old 04-15-16, 01:06 PM
lungustefan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
noisy drivetrain help please

All right,i have a bike for 2 years now.First year i got it it was prelubricated,then after 3 months i bought a mucoff dry lube.I started by applying it onto the chain every 1 week or so,just so i could have a more silent drivetrain,as it was a bit noisy for my taste.

This year,it was the same.Now I wanted to clean the chain and the drivetrain,cause they were filthy with lots of grit on them.so I bought a degreaser,WD40.I started applying Wd40 on the chain,then i took a nail brush and brushed the chain thoroughly,for like 5 minutes.Then I brushed the rear cassette too.I applied the wd40 on the chain directly,and when cleaning the rear cassete only on the brush,i did NOT spray wd40 directly on the cassete out of fear of flushing out the grease out of the hubs and whatever.

Now,after this,i took a clean rag and wiped the chain very well of the wd40.I let the bike idle for 1 day,then today i washed it with hot soapy water.I did not pour water on the rear derailleur,only directly on the chain.I cleaned it well with a dry rag,and after 10 minutes i applied the lube.

Now i started noticing a strange sound comming from the drivetrain,when each chainlink was comming on the cassette sprocket links.Also,this happened in each gear.And I felt a big vibration in the pedals,and it was comming from the drivetrain and chain.It was very noisy indeed when i switched bikes with a friend and i listened to mine from behind.
I pulled over,applied even more lube on the chain and also on the 5,6,7 gear sprockets.The noise and vibrations were reduced,but if i would switch in a lower gear,like 3,4,i felt the same vibration and noise.I lubricated those too,but its still quite the same.

After 20 km,i stopped,pulled over,and listened to it again.The same sound came back and the vibrations are back in the pedals.Its as if some chainlinks are encountering resistance when grabbing onto each sprocket tooth.

What can i do to stop this??what exactly is happening?