View Single Post
Old 04-18-16, 11:01 AM
bikeclub

Bikes: Many machines in pieces on the ground.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you can find a good used bike for $150 in almost any market, with enough time, effort and knowledge. If this is not a serious hobby for you, then definitely compromise on some of the advice below:

1. Craigslist or private party transaction versus a bike shop: many posters on this forum (myself included) spend a disproportionate amount of our time searching for CL bargains. Bikes can be even cheaper when people don't know what they're selling, i.e. In the garage and estate sales section, rather than in the bikes section. Again, this takes more time and knowledge.

2. Bike shop, like any dealer, is going to charge you more and will not sell an underpriced bike, but you get the confidence of knowing that it has been serviced and they should stand behind the bike.

Therefore the best route would be to look for a good solid bike, find it underpriced at $75 and get tuned up at shop for another $75 It's not impossible, but this takes the most time and knowledge. Otherwise, buying used at a shop might be your easiest route.