View Single Post
Old 04-18-16, 11:44 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
If you've got a Performance Bike near you, they often have city cruiser type bikes in the $150-200 range new, and not too much over that for other urban-type offerings. They are the same (more or less) company as the Nashbar bikes referenced above. For hour long strolls on flat ground, anything that you are comfortable on should fit your needs.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
Have you tried Good Will?

I know I've donated a few good bikes to 'em over the years.

And I heard they sell bikes for $50.
And some say as cheap as $10.

Whoever ended up buying mine got a steal.
I haven't bought bikes from Goodwill specifically, but I do shop thrift shops frequently. I bought my Le Tour for $28 from a Salvation Army, only needing a good cleaning and consumables. The Collegiate was something like $24, in a bit rougher shape (and to be honest, still sitting around waiting for new parts to be tacked on). I also bought an old Columbia 10-speed for $20 because I wanted the fenders, and ended up keeping the derailleurs, brakes and handlebars/levers.

It is rare I see a bike over $100, and those tend to be like-new "name brand" box store stuff (Mongoose, Schwinn, etc). There was an old Specialized Rock Hopper that stuck around my local shop for a few weeks priced at $30. Another had a beautiful Fuji ladies bike for $7, I would have bought it for parts but I decided to leave it for someone that actually needed a bike. I've missed out on a couple separate Miyata 310s priced at $30 (if a bike is sitting around with a sold tag, I always peek at the price), and found a nice old Fuji touring bike for $70, that would have went home with me if only I was about 8" taller to fit on it.

Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
I would recommend that you save up to least $1000.
I think it is easy for people on this forum to forget that many people who own and ride bikes are not going to see much actual benefit from buying bikes north of four digits. I got into old vintage bikes because they were cheap and filled my needs. I was turned off by the four digit prices I was quoted when looking for a first road bike, and after a year of riding them, I am just now to the point where I am comfortable enough with the sport to know more precisely what I want that I can start to look at more expensive bikes. There are a lot of bikes at $500 or below that will suit most people's bike riding needs.