Old 04-22-16, 11:42 AM
bikingmom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neck problem; looking for bike purchase ideas.

I'm 48 y/o female looking for a new bike for shorter-distance triathlons and possible 11-mile commute. I live in a very hilly city. I'm not a serious competitor, but triathlon is a fun motivator.

I have a cervical spine problem and I have recently recovered from a 3-level fusion. I now have limited range of motion in my neck and I want to avoid further damage.

Before the neck fusion, I bought (and had professionally fitted) a second-hand Cannondale Synapse to try out sprint triathlons. The neck position is now too extreme. I've adapted temporarily by raising the stem and lowering the seat, so one possibility is to try this for a while.

My 20+ year old hybrid has served me well for errands around town and off road trails (gravel rail-trails and easy non-paved city park trails) but it now feels too heavy to load into and out of a vehicle on a regular basis.

I'm looking into flat bar road bikes, some women's specific endurance road bikes, and lighter hybrids and I'm talking to my LBSs. A recumbent would require a special dispensation to use in triathlons and may be less visible in traffic (my teenagers think they look dorky, which could be a plus ).

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what has worked for them.