Old 04-22-16, 08:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 121 Posts
Nice bike. And Specialized tires are very good too. Ride it for six months and then decide.

I resumed cycling again last August after a 30+ hiatus. I snagged a comfort hybrid off Craigslist. Took me six months just to get into good enough condition for 30 miles rides, which is just beginning to push the limits of my bike.

Rather than considering another bike I just lowered the upright handlebars gradually, then flipped and reversed them to get closer to saddle height. Gave me a bit more efficiency riding into the wind or climbing hills.

Those minor mods will probably give me a few more months to decide whether I'll ever really justify a "better" bike. My main limitations will always be age (I'm 58), asthma and a busted up back and neck that make it impossible to ride drops with bars lower than saddle height.

Regarding tires, design may be more important than width. If you enjoy all terrain riding -- including gravel and some off-road rides -- a different tire design in 30 to 32 width may handle anything you can throw at the bike. I like my 700x40 puncture resistant all terrain tires, but they're heavy and slow. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept... for now.