Old 04-22-16, 10:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts
While it's not as serious as your condition seems to be, I've had a couple of painful episodes within the past several years, that resulted in me being diagnosed with mild osteoarthritis in my neck. I'm 52, and the physical the****** told me that a lot of people have neck problems due to years of computer use. How I set up my bikes seems to be important for managing this condition. In addition, I find that swept handlebars are much more comfortable for my wrists. As a result, all of my bikes are set up for an upright riding posture with "north road" bars, despite the aerodynamic penalty.

Recently, I shopped for a new bike, to replace my old Trek that's just too big for me. I mainly considered models in the "flat bar road bike" category. For better or worse, the selections in this category are limited, and it might be possible to find a lighter bike by swapping the bars and controls on a mainstream road bike -- an expensive proposition, but possibly a better way to accommodate your needs if you plan on doing anything competitive.

One thing I learned from my experience is to start with a setup that's "too comfortable" and make several small adjustments, rather than drastic steps, towards an acceptable balance between comfort and performance. I'm not planning on competing, but faster is still more fun. Even if the hybrid isn't your ultimate bike, if it has an adjustable stem, you can use it to help refine your fit preferences. Your seat adjustment can also play a role.

When you mention putting your bike into your car, that was a tough challenge for me when I was recovering from the neck thing. (Physical therapy, stretching, and bike geometry, got the symptoms back under control in my case). Stooping into my car, to finagle the bike in and out, wasn't a good idea as it turns out. A car carrier might be a better option.