nowherebound

Bikes: Specialized Hard Rock Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
@nowherebound,

That is a great bike, and should be well-suited to the kinds of riding you describe.

As to tire clearance, what year is your Elite? If it is a 2015 (?; far as I know the '16 is disc only), you should have easy clearance for 32s if you like, and should be able to go as large as 35 with that frame/fork, even with v-brakes. My Sirrus (Comp) is a '10; it has much tighter clearances than yours and I use 32s currently with room for a 33 cyclocross tire if I wanted.
Yes, it's a 2015. There's plenty of room in the fork, but the v-brake pads take away a fair bit of it. I have to squeeze the current 30mm tire a little bit through the brake pads to get the wheel off (even after releasing the cable from the v-brake). I assume I could also squeeze the extra 2mm of a 32mm tire through there (depending on construction of the 32s of course, and whether they are actually only 2mm wider). But squeezing the extra 5mm of a 35mm tire through there seems unlikely. The guy at the shop said no way for 35s. (Maybe if I were to deflate the tires a bit first, but not sure that would be a wise set-up?)

(In hind-sight, I might have gone for a disc version just to avoid this limitation on tire width. Live and learn.)