Old 04-23-16, 09:19 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nowherebound View Post
Hello -- New to the forum. And recently decided to get back into cycling, since my lovely kids have eroded most of my physical activity.

I just purchased a Specialized Sirrus Elite, with V-brake. But I am questioning whether I made the right choice due to the limitation on tire width. It comes with a 30mm tire (on 15 mm rim) and at the shop they told me the widest tire I might be able to put on it is a 32mm due to the V-brakes and fork interfering. I originally had my head and heart set on 35mm tires. From what I have read, that seems to be the sweet-spot for tires for a mix of urban, gravel riding paths, and occasional section of muddy forest paths -- that's mostly what I'll do. Maybe occasionally a 20-40km+ day-ride with the family. Somehow I like the look of a slightly wider tire with a little bit of inverted (?) tread. But when I test-rode the bike at the shop, I was very pleasantly surprised with how smooth the bike was and comfortable over bumps. It's a reputable bike shop, and they were very emphatic that there 30mm was plenty good for my needs, just need to inflate the tires regularly, etc.

I'm not an intense rider, so maybe not worth analyzing as much as I am. But I like to have the right equipment for whatever I do. And I would hate to think I made a bad choice that would limit my options, but would rather know now.

So many different opinions on the web -- but I am reaching out for even more opinions. Did I make a not-so-good choice? Or am I over analyzing and everything will be fine? (I weigh 200lbs/91kg if that matters)

Thanks in advance. Hoping to be a more active member in the future!
The bike you bought is fine, even optimal for all but muddy forrest paths. But for those kind of conditions, you might need a mountain bike or a fat bike, which would be less than optimal for everything else. But realistically, how many times do you plan to ride in the mud? My guess is if you are a recreational rider, maybe never?

Last edited by MRT2; 04-23-16 at 09:22 AM.