Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
started losing weight finally on a minimal sugar minimal grains approach

Checking in with maybe good news ----

I say "maybe" because i try not to get my hopes up too much with weight loss

I topped out at 335 --- this after a winter full of a lot of fun time in the garage with some sweet vintage bike builds, -- plenty of time on the trails riding my mountain bike, and a few group rides on the road

--- something definitely out of whack with the diet. I logged my food, weighed in daily, and even had my cholesterol/triglycerides/blood sugar etc checked out

I was trying to follow what i considered a moderate nutrition plan with a fairly balanced ration of carbs/protein and fat -- rarely getting over 2500 a day

I drive a lot with my job, and in March , my job got a lot busier-- literally 14 hour days 6 days a week (I'm a contract insurance adjuster-- basically when your town gets whacked with a tornado or flood, i'm there)
So now i was confused about not making weight loss progress, plus i am adding in stress and raised cortisol levels -- so i got worried

Came across Vinnie Tortorich in a series of podcast's - like i said, i drive a lot so i listen to a lot of these ----- Vinnie's approach is not that far removed from guys like Mark Sisson and the "Primal Blueprint" -- no sugar, no grains is the mantra ---

I felt a little like a housewife from the 80's starting the Pritikin diet and taking a handful of Dexetrim's ----- the difference with Tortorich's approach is you don't need to sweat it if you eat a banana , just don't go out of your way to eat the known offenders, -- no ice cream, bread, grains like rice etc. and watch out for hidden sugars in known foods

I am down 10 pounds so far in about 3 weeks --- long way to go sure, but nothing i have tried has got the scale to move backwards for me in the last few years.
I was skeptical at first, but the high protein and fat levels keep me pretty satiated throughout the day, -- although i have to force myself to eat more veggies - (or take a fiber supplement -- things are not moving smooth) --- I drink a lot of vegetable juice -- something instinctually draws me to it -- as if my body knows full well i am not getting enough vitamins -- some of it pre-packaged like V-8 juice, but i prefer to make my own with a juicer if i have time as i can control the salt better that way

This does not feel like an athlete's diet at all, -- and i have not been on the bike since starting this due to my schedule-- energy levels are pretty lackluster but i have heard this reported from the folks who have tried lower carb diets for the first few weeks

Tortorich himself is an ultra marathoner and reportedly does west coast rides like the Furnace Creek 500 along with running events -- so its working for him--- but i long ago learned that some guys can do anything and have it work out for 'em, ------------ but i figured that my body has been a science experiment for years in a bad way -- may as well try another approach

I'm just glad something is trying to work ---- i have told that once i drop my beer consumption, the flood gates of weight loss will really open up, --- but thus far i have switched to light "lower carb" beer (Michelob Ultra at 3.2% strength -- its basically beer flavored water, but still has about 95 calories a pop)

So i am hoping for continued success ,

Its an odd approach for me -- yesterday i was caught out on a long day without enough preps --- i bought 2 burger patties and a handful of tomato slices from Sonic --- that felt weird, ---

I'm a stocky guy and checked in at 214 pounds and 13% body fat when i was racing track and criterium regularly --- if i can get down to 260ish i will hit the velodrome again , beer gut be damned, i've ridden the track before at that weight

Sorry for being long winded-- haven't posted in a while --- when i'm not riding regularly i don't even feel like reading about bikes -- LOL