View Single Post
Old 12-01-05, 10:52 PM
kwarterlb
Foobie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh hey cool, I can finally post here. James, I think it's you I have to thank for pushing me over the edge into buying a Xootr Swift. I'd been hemming and hawing for quite some time over the purchase, checking their website every week or so, but was hesitant to buy without getting a chance to try one out, or at least see it in person.

I think I ran into you once outside the train station, and you were quite a good sport about answering my stupid questions about your bike. Thanks very much for that!

I took too long to decide, though, and now that I've taken delivery of my blue Xootr Swift, it's too rainy for me to ride without fenders. Argh!

My reasons for buying the Swift are slightly different from what I've read in this thread, so I figure I'll share just to offer another datapoint for any other potential Swift owners:

I first learned about the Xootr Swift looking for information about folding bikes, especially comparisons among different brands; I'm pretty sure the first mention I found of it was this page, apparently from one of the founders of Xootr itself.

I'd become pretty familiar with Dahon watching people get on and off Caltrain every day, and a co-worker even let me ride several blocks on one. They fold into a good package, but the ride just didn't feel right. On top of that, none are rated for a rider as heavy as I am (I weigh about 250lbs, not counting the heavy loads I usually carry on my bike).

I'd found a Birdy and some other more esoteric folders at bike shops around San Francisco (as well as several Dahon models, and other brands based on the Dahon design). None suited my desire for a "real bike" ride and need for a stronger frame.

The Xootr Swift fit the bill perfectly--it's quite apparent that it's a well-built bike, built to last, and only my inability to test-ride one gave me pause. Thanks to the discussions here, along with seeing James zip off so agilely on his, I figured it was worth a try.

I timed my purchase badly, and instead of showing up the day before Thanksgiving, it arrived the Monday after. I assembled the bike quickly and took it for a spin in San Francisco; the bike rides great, and feels just like a "real" bike (at least, what I remember of a "real" bike--I had to get rid of mine when I moved to San Francisco last year and couldn't afford an apartment large enough for my girlfriend AND the bike, thus my desire to get a folder).

I've not had much opportunity to ride yet, but my impressions so far:

- I *love* that there are so few unique components.

- The tires are great--I keep thinking of how I let my peers talk me out of riding a BMX bike in college, and here I am back on a "kid's bike". Pumped up to 100psi, these tires ride juuuust fine.

- So light! I think this is the lightest bicycle I've ever owned.

- Though it doesn't fold as small as a Dahon, the frame feels *solid*, and it's small enough for my purposes.

- It doesn't feel like a clown bike like the Dahon I'd ridden.

Pretty much the only drawbacks I've encountered for the bike so far involve the packing of the bike--the box says I only would need a wrench to attach the pedals, but I also needed an allen wrench to install the handlebar, and also needed to tighten the headset. Fortunately, though I had to get rid of my old bike last year, I got to keep all the tools I'd collected over the years, so this wasn't much of a problem.

I also have some small paint chips around the headset, but I figure the frame is aluminum, so I'm not in any real danger of rust (especially considering how hesitant I am to take it out in the rain : ).

These are tiny little things compared to the joy of this bike, but I worry that they could seriously frustrate other less glee-filled Xootr customers. I hope my bike was a chance exception.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the thoughtful contributions to this thread! I'm really looking forward to possible sunshine this weekend. : )