Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelnel
The LHT is a cool frame, but doesn't seem to me to be suitable for what you want to do with the bicycle. I mean, it would do it fine, but its strengths are aimed at heavy loaded touring. Personally, I think for your needs as stated you should be looking at a cyclocross frame like the Surly Crosscheck or Soma Doublecross.
Sorry dude but I couldn't disagree more. I think the LHT is exactly what he needs.

I built my LHT several months ago and I have over two an a half thousand commuting miles on her. In short, if I had to replace her I'd replace her with the exact same bike. The geometry is all about rock steadiness but I can throw her around when I have to, just today I had a fool pedestrian wander out in front of me as I was cruising along at 20mph, I ended up on the grass and had to bunnyhop a 3" step back onto the pavement, nimble enough to execute those sorts of crazy maneouvers when you have to and stable enough to not buck you off when you do end up on rougher terrain.

I didn't build mine with lightness in mind, I'm not sure what the all up weight is with my commuting load but I can tell you that I'm not shy about a bit of street racing with anyone that wants to have a go. I've shamed lots of guys on more exotic (much lighter) machines. I usually amble along at around 20 - 22mph, I can sit on 25 - 27mph for extended periods if I have to, and I have sprinted well up into the high 30's... all with a full commuting load on.

Judging by your criteria you're thinking exactly as I was when I built mine. First of all don't skimp on the wheels if you want reliability. I have two sets of wheels/tires, the day-to-day regular heavy duty wheels that I built myself which are 36 spoke Deore LX mountain bike hubs, Mavic M319 front rim and M719 rear rim, laced with DT Swiss Alpine III forged spokes on a 4-cross pattern, they're fitted with 28mm Conti Ultra Gatorskins. I ride them with no mercy over anything and everything at crazy speeds and they remain as true as day 1.

My other wheelset is a pair of Shimano 550's with the same tires in 23mm, not bad wheels for the price I just have to remember not to be so rough with them otherwise they need truing up.

She also has a Deore LX groupset with a triple crank and 11 - 34 casette, M520 pedals, Ritchie Pro comp headset, Profile cowhorn bars, Dura-Ace barend shifters, Dia-compe 280V brake levers pulling Deore LX V-brakes... awesome stopping power and control!, Topeak rack and trunk bag, and a pair of Vaude panniers.

This is an early photo when I just finished her. She now has Profile Airwing aerobars, a 20watt light, a different (much nicer) seat, an a few other bits. I'll post a more recent pic if you're interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
truck1.jpg (98.9 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg
truck2.jpg (99.1 KB, 109 views)