Old 05-05-16, 05:08 AM
lineinthewater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, hangers are easy to bend, but they don't magically bend on their own. If your hanger is bending inward, which is just about the only way they ever bend, it's because something is bending it. It could be as slight as loading a bike into a car trunk, bumping in to stuff when you bring it inside. But, it takes SOMETHING, because nothing happens without a reason.
I can assure you that I'm always paying attention to protecting the rear derailleur (or any component for that matter) from touching anything, even when I'm just leaning the bike against the wall. I'd say I'm downright anal about it. This is even more true, if that's possible, after I did the first minor alignment 2 weeks ago.

There is one other possibility, and maybe that's what's going on in your case. I've seen hangers that don't pocket against the frame perfectly, so when the wheel is tightened, they flex inward at the interface.
From memory, I don't see the derailleur flexing inward when the skewer is tightened. I'll look at it again today. However, I remember seeing the derailleur somewhat tip inward just at the last tightening 1/4 turn of the derailleur fixing bolt into the hanger. This may be normal. But, it made me wonder if there was some sort of mating anomaly between the RD (5701 medium cage) and the CAAD hanger.

In any case, Unless the Wheels hanger is somehow different, ie. thicker, it won't be any stiffer.
Wheels says it's much stiffer - but they couldn't provide any hard numbers. I'm just repeating what they told me, but wanted to get some feedback from the forum. As I mentioned, the new version of the CAAD10 hanger is thicker than the pre-2014 hangers. There has to be a reason why they suddenly changed the design. I'm no expert, but it seems very few hangers go through revisions.

Last edited by lineinthewater; 05-05-16 at 05:32 AM.