View Single Post
Old 05-08-16, 03:54 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was a little race in the rain. Didn't do very well, but managed to finish ahead of a couple of other finishers, and there were a few who dropped out, so it could have been worse. At the start, I ran into a guy I've ridden with training for the GFNY a few times. He'd screwed up in pinning his number on, so I fixed it for him. He won. Thanks to me. On a more serious note, thanks to him, despite the miserable conditions, I got a handful of PRs for the course, and I'm sure a lot of other folks did, too. After the little hill, he took off like a shot and stretched the field out but good.

Later that day, a teammate and I spent the afternoon stapling bib numbers to waivers and putting them in binders. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but nearly 600 of them takes a little while, and is kind of a drag when the numbers aren't all assigned sequentially. Then, today I stood around and worked the sign in; first wave got underway at 7:30, last wave at 1:00. Didn't start out well, because the location of the start was confusing - I went to where the pin on the map was, and it turned out to be the middle of the course - tried to contact someone or re-check the event page, but there was no phone reception! Managed to drive somewhere and find reception, and had to turn around and speed through the park to get to the actual staging area. Folks had formed a line by the time I got there, but everyone got through and their numbers pinned on in plenty of time for the start. Day started cold and rainy, and the easy-up tents weren't quite big enough to keep everything dry, so that was kind of a mess, too. Eventually that cleared up, but then it got really windy. I'm exhausted, and I only rode 17 miles all weekend!