View Single Post
Old 05-11-16, 10:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer

Oh my, where to begin. If you spent half the time to do the slightest of research, you would see how ignorant your statement is. Here is a link, although not the best to support my statement:
More Homemade Insect Repellent Ideas
That's not "research". That's Internet rumors which fit into the same category as "wive's tales". There's not much meat on that bone. Our lives are awash in vinegar...actually acetic acid. It's used in all kinds of foods. Pickles, salad dressings, and flavoring for various other foods come from acetic acid. If you taste sour in your meal, particularly if it is very sharp, it's likely from acetic acid (it could be citric acid as well but acetic acid is much more common). But none of that acetic acid makes it out of the stomach to the skin. If it did, you'd be in real trouble because blood isn't acidic and if it is, something is seriously wrong with you.

Again, if vinegar or any of the other "homemade" substances worked they would have worked a long time ago and no one would have needed to develop DEET.

Oh and also, I never said bugs were biting him, relax, go back and read.... then research before you post. I've read a few of your post, all of them long and disagreeing with someone about something that you claim to be an expert on, which obviously must be everything..... I mean, really?
Y simply don't under the issue. jacobserver is riding through clouds of the insects. They aren't coming towards him. He is riding towards them. Any repellent he would care to use would be following him in his wake, not leading him where it could be effective. Additionally, the bugs aren't attracted to jacobsever in any way so a repellent isn't going...well...repel any of them. Now he could be slathering on pheromones to attract midges but I'm not aware of any commercial products that add midge pheromones. What would be the point?

As for being an "expert", I am in some areas and I'm just knowledgeable in others. I also know how to use Google to fill in the gaps. For example:

...post a link to ANY article that says apple cider vinegar (or most any vinegar) is not a natural deterrent for bugs!
Ask and you will receive. This is not some wild Internet claim but a peer reviewed paper where the methods for testing and the results are clearly laid out. You, or anyone, can repeat them. If you read the article, you will see that the mixture containing vinegar was only slightly better than nothing. Frankly, I'm surprised that Avon Skin So Soft did so well. But I'm not surprised at all about the DEET at all.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!