Old 05-13-16, 07:38 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
The problem with the Idaho Rolling Stop (IRS) is not the law, which I agree with, but the way many cyclist practice it. I personally practice the IRS and it's not a law here in Florida, I've even done it in front of cops with no problem. The problem is that many don't do the IRS correctly and cause problems at intersections, but if done properly motorists/pedestrians wouldn't even notice that we didn't put our foot down.

This video shows the correct implementation of the IRS, but many cyclists seem to think that they should never stop at intersections, that's simply not correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eB0N-LG6M
I watched the attached YouTube video, and that basically is how I ride. Except, there are quite a few traffic light controlled intersections that I treat this way. These are intersections I am familiar with. I know the traffic patterns, and I'm always prepared to stop if there is any danger. However, if it is safe, there really is no reason to stop on a bicycle. The example of the rider blowing through the active intersection is clearly wrong. It is not representative of what I do. I also contend that it is an exceedingly rare occurrence due to the very high likelihood of harm to the bicyclist.