StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
I found the GCN video both entertaining and factual and I really like those guys and think they do a good job and keep it fun.
To me, what they disclose is pretty common knowledge in the industry. Disk brakes may offer fractionally improved brake performance.

For average riders...like the video explained, those living in mountainous country may prefer a bike with disk brakes. Makes sense. Not essential as top riders don't use them for much higher speed than we mortals ride but if average Joe prefers disk, why not?
I posted my actual test results on two different threads. I used a new disc equipped bike and two older bikes with carbon wheels and rim brakes - older DA mechnical with Kool Stop pads and newer Di2 with Shimano. From 15 mph on dry roads, they all stopped the same. On a wet surface, the disc stopped about five feet quicker the first time. After that when I altered the rim braking action, it was between 1.5 to 3 feet difference.

Someone posted about the GCN video. I went back and looked and my results would be similar I think - no difference on dry but two meters better for disc on moderately wet roads if I was doing 25 mph like they did instead of my 15 mph.

Since I don't ride in mountains and don't intentionally ride often in the rain, I don't see any advantages.