Old 05-17-16, 09:38 AM
Luis G.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Care to post the numbers?

Good hydraulic discs are only better off-road because they work instantly in severe conditions---conditions which most road riders would never see (ride a lot in two-inch-deep mud on the road?)

I have a disc-equipped MTB, and road one with canti brakes for many miles. I have decades of road-riding experience. I am not just making stuff up to win an Internet debate. "Many times more powerful" is gross hyperbole. If it "has been proved time and time again" I'd like to see the "proof."

Yup ... pretty much widely understood.
Ceramic and also carbon fiber, which dissipates heat even more quickly ... and also need to be heated to very high temperatures to even Start working. Auto racing fans have seen lots of cars go off because cold brakes couldn't haul the car down enough after a start or restart.

Bikes have more of an issue with fluid heat, not rotor heat .... because bike rotors are right out in the air, and not anywhere near mechanical components which themselves generate enormous heat.

Bike rotors are steel because aluminum in those dimensions wouldn't be sufficiently rigid, which would cause the brakes to drag on the pads. heat build-up is not ever a performance issue.

Really though, the whole debate comes down to this:
Right now there is no evidence that discs will cause more injuries, but that is the only real sticking point.

The tiny amounts of added drag and weight are insignificant if every bike has the same brake system and is at the same minimum weight. The difficulty of wheel changes could be addressed through UCI rules determining universality among systems in UCI competition.

The real issue isn’t stopping power. Discs are so marginally better right now that it is like the debate over removing the weight of three atoms from your bike to go faster. Discs are only an issue because the manufacturers want to sell them on commercial bikes.

Potential injury is the only reason not to use discs ... and only real-world testing will establish whether or not the dangers are real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmzlGeKPRY

What type of disc brakes do you have? What size rotors also. I have a 160mm front rotors on mechanical disk brakes, braking power is similar to rim brakes. However on my buddies Orbea with hydraulic the power is absolutely bonkers. Enough to lock up front wheel going downhill. That's a 200mm rotor up front, I do not remember which hydraulic I want to say it was Hope.