Old 05-29-16, 12:46 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Birthday Ride part 2

Continuing west on the Arizona Canal from Scottsdale I soon come to the Arizona Falls Power Plant near 56th St.

[IMG]Arizona Falls by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Entrance to the Arizona Falls by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

I take a short break here. By now the temps are getting warmer. Probably high 70s to mid 80s. Which is really cool. Continuing west I'm on a hardpan gravelly trail. It's not bad really. Lots of other people riding, jogging, etc. Just before 24th St. near the Biltmore you want to cross to the North side here.

[IMG]Cross here. by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

The reason is there is an underpass on the north side at 24th St. Or you can wait for a break in traffic and cross 24th St. From here west almost all major road crossings go under. Letting you avoid auto traffic. One of the things I like about this MUP.

At 44th St is my first "bailout" point. I'm tired, my rear is slightly sore and I'm feeling heated but I decide to continue. I stop at a convenience store for more gatorade. My last "bailout" point was 25th Ave. It is 5 mi from my home to 25th Ave and the Arizona Canal. Now I'm watching my odometer backwards and calculating how far I am from home vs how far to continue my planned loop. Once I make the turn at Skunk Creek I decide I might as well finish the loop.

Skunk Creek quickly becomes New River. And very shortly I arrive at Thunderbird Rd. I stop near here for a burger. It's almost 11 AM and I've gone 50mi.

After lunch I ride back to New River, getting a powerade along the way, and continue south. There is actually water in the river.

[IMG]There's water in New River! by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

But there's no water here just across that bridge.

[IMG]No Water by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

South of Northern Ave the trail becomes a nice smooth concrete path. The only problem is the concrete path is almost white. Heat is radiating up strongly from it. The temp is probably low 90s but it feels hotter to me.

However I soon come to Bethany Home Rd and the Grand Canal. It is about 13 mi home from here. I am hot, wishing I hadn't forgot my hat but overall it is uneventful riding home. I take one more pic at 75th Ave.

[IMG]Homeward Stretch by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mainly nostalgia. I can still remember hopping in the canal on the other side of that intersection and riding under the bridge. On a day like this that sounds inviting. But I'm sure nowadays somebody would call the law.

To sum up I rode 70.8 mi in 5 hrs 13 min riding time. Total trip time was a little more than 8 hrs. Lessons to be learned. Remember my hat. As matter of fact I put a baseball cap in the pack I usually use for these rides. Experiment with better clothes. I wore what I usually wear today. All cotton. While it isn't the problem that a lot of people believe it is not very comfortable after 40 mi or so.