View Single Post
Old 06-08-16, 03:11 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson, Simoncini, Kinesis Tripster

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Nigel Dean was on the UK national cycling team for a while and raced professionally. After racing, he worked for the Claude Butler outfit, and then went into making bikes under his own name. It's unclear if he made them all by hand or ordered some through Panasonic. Since then, he has moved into auto racing and fabricates racing parts in Britain.

Most of the bikes that I have seen are from the mid to late 1980s, and most are 531. The bike you have fits this description fairly well: late 1980s 531 frame. Yours is a mid to upper level range with a mix of 105 and 600 series parts. I would guess that it dates from sometime between 1986 and 1988, and from what I can see, it was handmade.

You will want to repack the bearings with fresh grease, change the cables and housing, and find some new handlebar tape and tires. Other than those relatively minor things, you have a fully functional bike. I would expect this bike to fit someone around 5'-5'4" tall (152-162cm). Your height falls in that range, so you're probably OK.
That's a nice find. Enjoy it!