Old 06-16-16, 09:26 AM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a lowly "Bell 'roundabout'" (manu., by Cheng Shin) 26" x 1.75" for my commuting duties.

My bike weighs similar to yours ~35lbs and i weigh more than you ~250lbs. Plus i carry a pack ~30lbs and office clothes/shoes in my panniers on the front rack - say ~15lbs.

So, all in there is ~330lbs that rides on my lowly "Bell 'roundabout'" 26" x 1.75" tires (manu., by Cheng Shin) weekly across all sorts of surfaces from smooth, new cement to asphalt (which is hugely cracked making some very hard bumps).

I've had these tires for about 3 years now and close to 2,000 miles on them with no failures and still plenty of good tread left.

Don't over think this - and it seems like you are struggling with making this decision. It's easy to fall into analysis-paralysis and over-think even reasonably simple decisions.

I'm sure you will be just fine with many of these higher-spec tires. Just watch where/what you ride over. Its hard for me to envision riding over broken glass - maybe i'm just too cautious of where i ride and what i ride over...., but i just never ride over "stuff" in the road/trail.