Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jtuds
Hi folks

I am new to the forum and have a question for you experts

My wife and I are approaching our 6th anniversary and as timing would have it, we have been riding together recently and she is keen to do more. As such, she has recommended that we buy new bikes for our anniversary.

I am currently on a 2009 Rocky Mountain Vapor with hybrid tires. She's riding a Specialized Dolce that's about 5 years old and borrowed from my sister never used it. She was nervous about the road tires when she first got on it but has gained confidence each time.

My plan is to ride longer distances (50-80km) and cover shorter distances faster. Her goal (for now) is to ride with me on leisurely rides on a bike that will allow her to venture out further, confidently and comfortably.

My concern is that as she gets more used to riding, she might want to take on a long ride, but might have the wrong bike is she goes with a hybrid. I think she should be looking at a bike with drop bars that will have wider tires with some tread for comfort and traction/confidence.

So, I am thinking she should be looking at cyclocross bikes or a gravel-focused bike for her. She is averse to the high cost of bikes, so it might be a challenge to get her into this style of bike in the price range she is comfortable with, but I think spending more now would be better than getting something that can't go what she might want to do a year form now, and then having to buy a whole new bike.

Thoughts?
While your thinking for the best for her, your Wife is really the one that needs to make the decision on what she wants. We've had postings on this site from angry spouses that greatly dislike what was chosen for them. She needs to choose what she likes otherwise she may not want to ride.

Give advice, but don't choose is my advice to you.

Oh, and by the way, there are a great many of us whom do very long rides on hybrids. I'm planning on a 65 mile ride this weekend myself. Others have easily done century's. I have talked to many people whom ride well over 330 miles from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and CnO trails.