View Single Post
Old 06-19-16, 10:18 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Front-Fen.../dp/B001N84RHU

Not sure it would have prevented your accident but they came with my fenders. I had a rear fender come loose, get caught in the tire and fold up like an accordion. Of course anything with the rear wheel has minor consequences compared to the front.

It's not just fenders though. My son had an eerily similar incident and injuries when he was going about the same speed and a stick got caught in his spokes. He landed on his shoulder and helmet. No structural damage to his shoulder but he got a bad case of road rash on that and his ankle. Still has the scars and it's been at least 3 years. The steel fork looked like a noodle but only a single spoke broke on the wheel.

A friend also had a pretty bad incident when she got too close to the rider in front of her and their wheels made contact with each other. Lets just say that that one took a lot of trips to the dentist before she was back to normal. Broken wrist too if I remember right.

So yeah, it's best if front wheels don't stop rolling. I don't know that I would write off fenders completely but there's some risks with knobby tires, minimal clearance and struts that don't break away that you're now aware of. You can fix those things. Your story made me double check my fenders but I'm pretty much ready to take them off for the summer anyway.

Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery, - both physically and psychologically. That kind of thing leaves a lasting impact on your psyche.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-19-16 at 10:35 PM.