Old 06-28-16, 12:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Same challenges here -- bum neck, permanently damaged C2, same bike fit limitations.

After 10 months on a heavyish comfort hybrid I'm in good enough shape to kinda want a lighter bike for smooth pavement rides (I still enjoy the hybrid's softer ride and suspension fork for gravel and rough roads).

A few weeks ago I tried a Trek 7.5 FX. It was light enough that I could really feel the difference -- especially accelerating and climbing even a moderate uphill grade. But the flat bars and reach felt uncomfortable. So I'm considering a similar bike with raised drops, or maybe flipped North Road bars -- I can handle the drops for short periods, although my neck pain limits mobility so I can't really look at the road ahead. Locally I've noticed several fellows my age and older riding road bikes with drop bars elevated to slightly above saddle height, so it's not an uncommon setup.

Biggest differences I could make in my existing hybrid would be lighter wheels and tires (my puncture resistant 700x40 tires weight 1,110 gr each!), and replacing the suspension fork with a rigid fork. But, nah. I'll leave it as-is because it works and suits me fine for off-road and gravel rides. Makes better sense to put the money toward a bike that's designed to be lighter and quicker overall.