View Single Post
Old 07-03-16, 02:26 PM
dagray 

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
First off I am 6'3" and 360 pounds. I ride a carbon road bike (Orbea Orca) and my bike size is 60cm or XL.

Second the wheels will be your weakest point on the bike so if you buy a road bike you may have to upgrade the wheels with ones that have 32 spokes or 36 spokes in the rear (My current bike is 32 spokes front and rear, but my old bike had 28 spokes on the front and I upgraded to 32 on the rear).

third, go make friends with the bike shop that is 40 miles away and let them know it is okay to refer items to you that they would refer to a fat person so they don't try to sell you something that won't last (My shop kept telling me the 28 spoke rear wheel would work, and I was taking it in all the time to be re-trued... when they got it through their head that I know I am fat and to get me something that wasn't costing me time and money to get repaired we would get along better...My shop is 30 miles away).

fourth: figure out what type of bike you want, and remember bikes with drop bars (road bike style) give you more options for your hand placement.

fifth: buy the bike you will ride and then get it properly fitted to you (which is more than raising the saddle).

sixth: enjoy.