ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dc1503 View Post
Actually not too far from you. Duplin county, NC
Spend a day in the Raleigh area looking at bikes.

I got my Fuji Sportif at the Performance Bikes in Cary. They are good for beginners as the prices are a little lower (10%-20%) than a lot of other bike stores. Plus you get free lifetime adjustments when you buy a bike there. Of course, being 1.5 hours from Raleigh, you'll probably want to learn to do your own wrenching for minor things.

Other good stores in the Raleigh area (and the major brand(s) they carry):

All-Star Bikes: Specialized and Giant
Bicycle Chain: Cannondale
Cycling Spoken Here: Trek
Oak City Cycles: Not sure, but here good things about them.

At 280#, you should be able to ride any type of bicycle that will fit you. Many others have started with road bikes at your weight. I was at 5'5" and 255#, and I went for a road bike. I got one with 28/32 spokes and 700x28 tires, and I haven't had any issues with the wheels/tires.

Now, if you want to start with a hybrid or a cruiser/comfort bike, and that will get you riding, then get one of those. The thing is to get a bike you WANT to ride, and that will fit you, and that you feel comfortable riding. If you feel comfortable on a road bike, and that excites you, then get one of those. Now cyclocross and gravel bikes look a lot like road bikes, but normally can fit slightly wider tires. That may be a good compromise, as the wider tires will allow you to use less pressure, which will help the ride comfort. But they'll still have the more sporty feel of a road bike.

Go to several LBS's, road test different styles (e.g. hybrid, gravel, endurance road, racing road, etc.) of bikes in your size. Then see which fit your budget, and get the one that makes you want to ride it.

I'd also check out the Triangle Craigslist, as it is more active than those closer to you. I'm not sure what the market is in Fayetteville or Wilmington.

GH