Old 07-12-16, 07:56 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neck disc surgery here. Went from Trek FX (flat bar) to Spec Roubaix (dros). The FX was good to start but found the multi positions of the drop bar Roubaix alleviates pain from building up being in one position for too long as with a flat bar. I would suggest checking into endurance geometry road bikes that allow a lot different stem/bar positions so you can adjust as your recovery progresses.

You want "options" because you will progressively get better as you have the desire to ride and have a level of experience more than just casual. There are a lot of stem choices (for road bikes) out there and a good fitter should be able to get you set up in a comfortable position to start.. then adjust as flexibility and pain improves.

I got creative and taped a short length of 1" thick packing foam L/R of the stem to get me even more upright option. So, basically I have 5 positions now.. from the bottom drop, to hoods, to corner tops, tops, then on the 1" pads. That 1" feels significant in how much more upright it puts me. You might try something like that on your current Synapse. Good luck, keep pushing yourself.