Old 07-13-16, 12:31 AM
clubber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar
ORIF - open reduction with internal fixation
it means the fractures were pretty serious and they couldn't reduce the gap to less than 2mm without opening the wound.

CRIF - is when the reduction is done from outside (no scalpal or scope) and then internal fixation

The fx NOF is often done CRIF where the cannulated screws are driven from outside. Floyd Landis had this surgery in 2003 when he crashed while training in San Diego. This was kept secret until after he won the TDF in 2006.
Thanks Doc. Being that 2 weeks ago yesterday I had my 3rd ORIF procedure (this time for the non-displaced compression fracture of my left lateral tibial plateau) in 2 years I am becoming quite knowledgeable. The internal fixation refers to the plates (which actually resemble metal bands) and screws that run all the way through the bone.

In he case of my ankle, one plate down the inside of my lower leg and the other plate down the front edge of my shin were screwed together AND thru the tibia to compress the multiple fractures above my foot back together.

Ok boys and girls...this concludes today's lesson on ORIF surgery. Class dismissed

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic already in progress