Old 07-14-16, 06:31 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
I've been dealing with a puncture in my tires for too long... the tire is < 200 miles out so I don't want to replace, and I wouldn't expect to have to do some internal repair on it either giving the hole is pretty small.
Any sugestions? after I put the new sealant and did all the prep work recommended, I put only 40psi and left the tire with the whole on the bottom to make sure it would have sealant there.
still, as soon as I inflated it to 100 PSI about 2 hours later it started leaking all the sealant, and by the amount of sealant there you can guess that it leaked for a while.
It seems the hole is just too big for the sealant to do its job or there may be some glass or other debris in there hindering the sealants ability to work which will require a patch from the inside. Simply dismount the tire, rinse with water, dry, and install a patch. Done!

FYI, the best way for sealant to work is fully inflated and spinning. One might think that a pool of sealant on the bottom and low air pressure would be the right way to do it but its not. The fastest way to seal a tubeless puncture is fully inflated and either spinning or riding depending on the rate in which its leaking down. Typically, sealant will stay in liquid form for several months inside the tire so pooling it up will never allow it to dry, especially sitting in a puddle of wet sealant, you need the outside air to make contact with the leak for it to harden.

As the wheel spins, the sealant will slosh around inside the wheel and some will follow the escaping air right through the leak and begin to dry, that's when it starts doing its job. Think of it like paint, if you take a can of spray paint and put a fine mist on any surface it will dry almost immediately, then spray in the same spot for 20 seconds to build up the paint until its nice and runny, now you're waiting an hour for it to dry. In your case, pooling it up would take probably 6 months to dry.

Last edited by dvdslw; 07-14-16 at 12:04 PM.