View Single Post
Old 07-17-16, 08:53 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Measured C to C, my favorite rides measure from 51 cm to 54cm, with top tube length from 53cm to 55 cm. All are quite comfortable after my compensating of saddle height/position and stem height/reach. I once checked to see if the bar to saddle to pedal center measurements were the same, but they vary by 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Interestingly, the longest top tube (55 cm) is on my 52 cm Bianchi and the Bottom Bracket to ground measurement varies by 1 1/2 centimeter from bike to bike.

For the Clunker Challenge, I am riding a 1966 Schwinn Super Sport which Schwinn calls a 24" frame. That would be around 61 cm, but they measure from crank center to top of the seat tube, which extends quite a bit above the top of TT. Center to TT Center, the bike measures 22 3/8" which is almost exactly 56 cm. I can stand with both feet on the ground and clear the top tube by about the thickness of my shorts. NTL, it is a comfortable ride now that I replaced the original vintage stem with a cheap, short reach SR stem.

In the past, I have ridden a 49 cm Eisentraut framed bike with the aid of a long seat post and North Road bars hung on a long stem. I traded that bike for my 84 Specialized Expedition Touring. I also had a 55 cm Zeus for a while, but eventually gave it to my 6' tall son when his 58 cm Super Le Tour was stolen. We had to add a tall seat post to make it work for him. My son will likely end up with both of the Super Sports I recently acquired. Don