Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5682 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Begemot50 View Post
Hello forum. Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Skyline Drive in Shenandoah. I won't have the time to bike the length of the road, as I will be passing through and only have a day or so to see the park. Just trying to make the most of the time I'll have there.

Has anyone done the ride? Favorite sections? Sections to avoid? Safest ways to get on/off the drive? GPX files?
I won't be visiting for a few months, so time is on my side (at the moment, anyway).

Thank you, hive mind!
I've been out there a few times (it's about 1.5 hrs from me).

Typically, I ride south on the Blue Ridge Parkway (Skyline Drive turns into this as it leaves the National Park). I prefer the BRP because there's no fee to enter, there's a bit less traffic during the tourist season, and the road is basically the same idea (beautiful views everywhere, lots of climbing).

Normally I park at an empty parking lot just off I64 in Afton, VA. Here-

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Af...!4d-78.8395137

I'll go south from there, usually 50-60 miles. There are also good breweries in the area for post-ride refreshment.

I've also ridden up to Skyline Drive from Sperryville (Thornton Gap), which is a bit north-

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sp...!4d-78.2261389

It's a pretty brutal climb by my standards, but the views are worth it.

I think the park entrance is $10 for a cyclist, and IIRC you can use the receipt to get back onto Skyline the next day as well if you're going to be in the area for a few days.

Honestly, anything on Skyline or the BRP is going to be spectacular. I haven't ridden out west or in Europe, but in my limited experience it's the best place I've ever been on a bike.