Old 07-18-16, 08:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Begemot50 View Post
Hello forum. Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Skyline Drive in Shenandoah. I won't have the time to bike the length of the road, as I will be passing through and only have a day or so to see the park. Just trying to make the most of the time I'll have there.

Has anyone done the ride? Favorite sections? Sections to avoid? Safest ways to get on/off the drive? GPX files?
I won't be visiting for a few months, so time is on my side (at the moment, anyway).

Thank you, hive mind!
Ridden parts of it, south and north from the Skyland Resort at mile 43, it's all very, very hilly. Nearly 8,000 ft of climbing if you ride the 75 miles from Front Royal to Elkton. The Skyland area is the highest point on the drive at +3,000 ft.

So bring your hill gears.

Anyplace is safe for access and the road is safe for bikes as most folks in cars don't speed on here, the limit is 35, which you can easily do downhill on a bike. And there are a lot of cyclists, so folks are used to them, roadies on day trips as well as touring cyclists.

No real need for a GPS track, it's an out and back with no turns unless you start in the valley and then it's an up to the drive and onto the drive. Pretty simple.

Watch the weather though, it's high up and gets cold as sin in the rain.